.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

'Cujo' continues ascent

-A A +A

Tops ‘Vicious’ Kennedy; improves to 13-2

By Mike Forster

A boxing title has come to Bedford County.

While some of us might be thrilled at that news, there’s one guy who is not.  And he’s the owner of the title.

“I’ won’t be happy until I’m the world champion,” said Scott “Cujo” Sigmon, of the East Coast championship he won last Saturday night, in Pikesville, Md.

Sigmon improved to 13-2 with a unanimous decision over “Vicious” Julius Kennedy.

“I knew that Kennedy was dangerous,” said Sigmon, after the fight.  “He’s a very highly-touted prospect.”

No doubt.  Earlier this year, Kennedy had beaten Aaron Pryor Jr., a 6’ 6” fighter, who couldn’t use that height to out-jab Kennedy.

Cujo, who stands 5’ 9” on a good day, was able to work inside on the burly Kennedy, doing most of his damage via the jab.

“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight,” noted Sigmon.  “It’s the size of the fight in the dog.”

It’s doubtful anyone would doubt the fight, or the heart, in Cujo, a boxer this paper prefers to call “The Peaks of Slaughter.”

With 175 hardy souls travelling from this area for the Pikesville fight, it’s obvious that we are not alone in our assessment of Cujo’s abilities and his desire.

Those faithful fans were rewarded with 10 full rounds of boxing excitement and drama.

Cujo closed Kennedy’s eye in the later rounds.

Vicious was penalized twice for dishing out below-the-belt shots on Cujo.

Kennedy’s corner was also warned for excessive banter directed at the referee.

Cujo seemed to ignore the swirling and focused on the task at hand.

“I let my fists do the talking,” he said of a notable decrease in trash talking.

As the fight wound down in the 10th round, Kennedy still had a lot of life left in him.  His punches still rang true and they were delivered with gusto.

Yet, Cujo was able to match the barrage, showing that he’s got the stamina to match his ring smarts.

With this year winding down, Cujo anticipates a full slate for the coming year, including eight fights.

He’ll kick things off on Feb. 5, in Charlotte, N.C., against a foe to be determined.

On Feb. 25, he’ll be at Dover Downs, Del., for another bout.

Then, it’s off to Martinsville, W.Va., for a March 26 date.

The thinking here is that Cujo will use next year to build up his record, his experience and his reputation.

Then, a huge push looms in 2012.

“I predict that within three years, I will be world champ,” said Sigmon.  “And within five years, I’ll be the most recognized man in sports, and boxing will be back atop the mainstream of the sports world.”

For those of you who scoff at such bravado, recall the following:

-When Sigmon first said he was going into boxing, there were many who laughed.

-When he declared he was going pro, many derided that as foolhardy.

-When he stated that he would bring boxing back to this area, he was mocked.

Yet, on all three of those bold objectives, Cujo has delivered.  In fact, he has delivered in startling fashion.

His only regret?

“I hate the fact that Muhammad Ali came before me, because he’s said everything that I wanted to say,” answered Cujo, the man who would be (and may be) king.