Moose help Bedford celebrate the holiday

-A A +A
By John Barnhart

    In spite of the fact that Bedford’s Moose Lodge had less than a month to pull it together, the fireworks display the lodge sponsored Friday night went smoothly.


    “It turned out very well,” said Andy Dooley, the lodge administrator, “We were very pleased.”
    The people attending were very pleased, too. When the display ended, people cheered and applauded.
    “It’s good for a last minute put-together thing,” said  Mark Ferguson, a volunteer with the Sheriff’s Office, who was helping deputies direct parking.
    “I miss it being at D-Day,” he added.
    “I think it was good,” said Dwain Hodakoski, “I think the Moose Lodge will keep it.”
    Hodakowski said he thinks they should have something for children the next time and bring in a band.
    “I’m excited,” said Lidy Ayers. “It was very disappointing to think there wasn’t going to be fireworks in Bedford.”
    “It’s nice,” said Zack Key.
    “It’s awesome,” commented Eil Ayers.
    “I’m super exited,” said Keisha Miller, who added that she had been upset when she first heard that there would be no fireworks in Bedford.
    She was also pleased with the parking arrangements.
    “Parking is great,” she said.
    Thelma Coffle brought her great-granddaughter Chase Peters, a rising third grader.
    “She’s spending the night with me because she wanted me to bring her to the fireworks,” Coffle said.
    Linda Brown brought her friend, Sam who “thinks he’s a Rotweiler.”
    Sam is a small brown and white dog who Brown was holding. He’s been to fireworks shows and  takes a calm attitude toward things exploding in the air.
    “He goes to sleep,” she said “He couldn’t care less.”
    “It was awesome!” Rajel Hernandez said after the show. “It was amazing!”
    Dooley, in turn was impressed with the Bedford crowd. He said lodge members showed up the next morning for a clean-up, but there was nothing to clean up. There was no trash.
    Parking was handled by the Sheriff’s Office, supplemented by volunteers. Once the show ended, cars exited the parking areas smoothly.
    “They did an outstanding job,” Dooley said.
    Dooley said the lodge will hold a wrap-up meeting on July 15 and will make a decision on whether to do it again next year. Dooley said he is leaning toward doing it again.