One half enough for M-Men

-A A +A

34-15 win over Glass makes Liberty 6-1

By Mike Forster

Seems somebody forgot to tell the Liberty squad that the homecoming court was introduced at halftime, not at the conclusion of the game.

Liberty played lights-out football for the first 24 minutes of its game with E.C. Glass.  

The Minutemen put on a furious final minute to post a 34-7 lead before Queen Callie Glover and her court were introduced.

That lead proved to be plenty, as the Minutemen posted a 34-15 win over the Hilltoppers.

Second half, schmecond half.  This one was put away in the first.

It all started with a pair of miscues.

Glass was the first to err, as it watched Liberty ball hound Quiintell Starks pick off an errant pass, deep in ‘Topper territory.

Minutemen fullback Thomas Clark finished off the quick drive, as he punched it in from three yards out.

On Liberty’s next possession, the favor was returned.  The Minutemen coughed up the ball deep in the shadow of their own end zone. 

Before they knew it, the score was 7-7, courtesy of a quarterback keeper TD by Glass’s Jordan Anderson.

Liberty responded with two consecutive drives that were solid in their execution.

The first one was capped off by quarterback Kody Outhong’s two-yard keeper.

The second was completed with an Anthony Reynolds run from three yards out.

With a 20-7 lead, it appeared Liberty would head into the intermission with a feeling of comfort.

The last minute reinforced that feeling.

Another drive put the Minutemen in scoring position with a minute to go.

Liberty moved it to the Glass two yard line.  Outhong lined up to spike the ball and stop the clock.

The cagey senior noticed something he liked in the Glass formation.  He feigned the spike, tucked the ball and dashed up the gut into the end zone.

It was a heads-up play, especially since Liberty still had a timeout in hand.

Liberty kicked off with 30 seconds to play.

On Glass’s first play from scrimmage, the Hilltoppers coughed up the ball.

Liberty recovered and Outhong went for the jugular.

He launched a 30-yard pass to Breon Brawley, who hauled it in for the touchdown and the 34-7 lead.

“That was a nice throw and a nice catch,” enthused Liberty Head Coach Chris Watts.

It was the last time that evening that Watts would be so enthused.

Don’t get us wrong.  The coach certainly felt emotional.  It was for all the wrong reasons, however.

Lowlights from the second half included consecutive Liberty fumbles and an opening drive that stalled on downs.

That drive could have wrapped up the game early on.  Instead, the Minutemen had to deal with a Glass team that was seemingly always in its rear view mirror.

The Minutemen were shut out the rest of the way.  Glass, however, could only put up one more tally.

That score came when Lamont Hamlette turned on the jets for a 23-yard score.

It’s not the way Watts would have liked the second half to shape up.  “I’d have liked us to run our offense for seven minutes, score and put in the reserves.”

Still, Watts was pleased.  “We responded after two emotional games (Amherst, Brookville),” he noted, adding “E.C. Glass has made a huge improvement. They play hard.”

Game notes

-Reynolds led all rushers with 93 yards (10.3 yards per carry), while Josh Smith added 52 (on 10 carries) and Clark bulled for 61 (15 carries).

-Clark was also big on defense, getting eight tackles.

-Mike Bowyer led the way with 10 tackles, while Jerry Thompson added seven.

-Liberty didn’t punt at all.