.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Sheriff Brown named Sheriff of the Year

        Bedford County Sheriff Mike Brown has been named the National Sheriffs’ Association’s (NSA) sheriff of the year.

        Brown will receive the NSA’s 2017 Ferris E. Lucas Sheriff of the Year award at the organization’s annual conference in Reno, Nevada, in June. The award recognizes a sheriff who has made outstanding contributions to law enforcement and the criminal justice profession, demonstrates exceptional service to his or her community, and has contributed to the betterment of the NSA.

  • Grace House closes

    Grace House, a homeless shelter located in Bedford, closed late last month.

        According to Caleb Hunter, who identified himself as “VP and CEO” of Grace House, it was a financial problem that forced it to close.
        “We don’t receive any grants,” Hunter said. “We have had no corporate sponsors.”
        He added that Grace House doesn’t receive any government money and is not getting routine support from any churches.

  • BMH sponsors Women’s Heart Health Lunch

        On Friday, the Bedford Columns dining room was filled with red-clad people.

        Bedford Memorial Hospital sponsored a Heart Healthy Lunch at the the Columns. People were encouraged to wear red and  Bedford Memorial CEO Patti Jurkus commented that this year marks 14 years since the first National Wear Red Day was held to promote heart disease awareness.
        The gathering was overwhelmingly female and Jurkus said heart disease is the number one killer of women.

  • Local charities to be part of ‘Roanoke Valley Gives’ campaign

    By Emily Scruggs
    Intern Writer
    news@bedfordbulletin.com

        Several lake-area charities announced their participation in the second annual “Roanoke Valley Gives” (RVG) campaign. This event, organized by the Foundation for the Roanoke Valley, is a 24-hour online day of giving, slated for March 15.

  • Friends group to support hospice house

        Bedford House, the hospice house the community built, is fully state-licensed and up and running.

  • Local family trying to adopt 3 brothers runs into obstacles

        A Bedford County family is stuck in Poland after going there Dec. 6 to adopt three brothers.

        The family of four, which expanded to seven when the three brothers joined them, learned in late December that their adoption agency had been disbarred. This left all seven members of the family stranded in a small apartment -- the adoption not finalized and funds to return home are having to be utilized to stay there because of the turn of events.

  • Unit from Forest was first medic crew on scene

        It took 30 minutes for the first medic unit to arrive on scene at the Jan. 17 fire at 708 Grove Street, that claimed the life of a 4-year-old child living at that residence.

  • Faulty electrical wiring cause of fatal fire

        Faulty electrical wiring was the cause of the accidental fire at 708 Grove Street in Bedford on Jan. 17 that claimed the life of a 4-year-old girl, according to Jeff Pauley, fire marshal for Bedford County.

        At a news conference Monday, Pauley said a call about the fire was placed at 4:51 a.m. by a 17-year-old teenager living at the home from a bedroom on the second floor. She had been awake since 4:30 a.m., but about 20 minutes later heard her brother yell that there was a fire in the house.

  • Bedford FD honors its firefighters

        The Bedford Volunteer Fire Department marked some milestones last month.

  • Dancing for a cause

        “It’s something I’m willing to go up and embarrass myself for,” commented Barrett Leitz, a journeyman electrician.