.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Bedford man charged with aggravated sexual battery

        A 66-year-old Bedford man has been charged with aggravated sexual battery following a June 27 incident investigated by the Bedford Police Department.
        Lewis William Hall, who lives in the Pinecrest Apartments, was arrested after police investigated a complaint.
        When police arrived to investigate a dispute, an intoxicated female told officers that someone had been on top of her, having non-consensual sex with her while she had been asleep, according to Chief Todd Foreman of the Bedford Police Department.

  • Council OKs electric cost adjustment

        Bedford’s town council adopted a new method of passing on power cost adjustments to its customers.
        According to Councilman Tim Black, the town’s electric department will go to a variable cost adjustment method which will smooth out power costs. A study on the town’s electric department recommended the change.
        Town Manager Charles Kolakowski said the adjustment factor will be done monthly and calculated over a rolling six-month period based on actual costs to provide electricity to customers.

  • The case is cold no longer

        For 40 years the parents of Sheila and Katherine Lyon have been longing to know what happened to their daughters.

        They’ve had to live with that uncertainty since the two sisters went missing from a shopping mall in Wheaton, Maryland, in March 1975.

  • Sanctuary city policies endanger communities
  • Finally, South Carolina rejects racist flag

        “It is a new day in South Carolina, a day we can all be proud of.”
        With that, Republican Governor Nikki Haley congratulated the South Carolina legislature for its overwhelming votes to take down the Confederate flag from the Capitol grounds. Hours later last Thursday, she signed the bill. The flag came down the next day.
        This was a long overdue change that moved swiftly after the racist killings of nine worshipers at a historic African-American church in Charleston last month.

  • What can you do about that?

        Last week, our second full week in our new office on 233 Depot Street, I was thinking of some of the advantages of our move. One is that I’m within walking distance of Fisher’s. I discovered that I can call in an order for a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit and it’s ready by the time I walk there. The other advantage is that I no longer drive down Washington Street to get to the office.

  • County takes a step forward on broadband

        Bedford County moved a step closer to providing county-wide broadband coverage Monday night.
        The Bedford County Broadband Authority and the Board of Supervisors took action to lease a site in Montvale to Mid-Atlantic Broadband Com-munications Corporation for a tower which will help bring broadband Internet coverage to parts of the county that don’t have it available.
        The Broadband Author-ity consists of the members of the Board of Supervisors.

  • Top Gun graduate sentenced to 50 years in prison on child porn charges

    Investigators first linked the naval officer and Top Gun graduate to a 14-year-old girl from Bedford County who sent him a topless selfie – only to be threatened with public humiliation if she refused more explicit instructions.

        Then, federal agents said, they tied Lt. Daniel Chase Harris to eight other girls across the country and in Japan who experienced similar horrors.
        But Harris’ case didn’t end there. While awaiting trial, he used a false name to draft a letter claiming he had been framed.

  • Thrift Store helps Rwandan missions effort

        Nancy Strachan, president of Rwandan HUGS, is a bit frustrated. The ministry has had a thrift store on North Bridge Street for two years, but visibility is a bit low.

        “My goal is to get more customers,” Strachan said.

  • Man charged with abduction found not guilty by reason of insanity

    The Forest man accused of attempting to abduct a 13-year-old boy last September pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to that and other charges during a hearing held July 7 in Bedford County Circuit Court.
        Michael Anthony Wood Jr, 49, has already been held in custody for 10 months, pending trial and will remain in jail until a spot opens up in a psychiatric facility, according to Bedford County Commonwealth’s Attorney Randy Krantz.