.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Davis pleads no contest

        A 32-year-old man will spend 22 years in prison for the rape of an 11-year-old girl.
        Last week Ernest Walter Davis, of Bedford, pleaded no contest to the charge in Bedford County circuit court.
         Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Wes Nance said that the rape occurred on Aug. 11, 2011. The girl had spent the night at the apartment of the grandmother of a friend. What the girl’s family did not know is that the grandmother had a drinking problem.

  • Supervisors focus on choice of new county administrator

        The search for a new Bedford County administrator should reach its conclusion early next year, approximately one year after former County Administrator Kathleen Guzi resigned.
        According to District 3 Supervisor Roger Cheek, a consultant hired by the county has presented the board with a list of 10 candidates, narrowed down from a list of 41 applicants. Cheek said that the supervisors will narrow it down further, then conduct interviews.

  • Special delivery

    One of Bedford County's newest citizens arrived under unusual circumstances Wednesday morning. She was born in the parking lot of the Sheetz in New London. The girl's parents, Huddleston residents, were headed to a hospital in Lynchburg but the baby was just too impatient to wait.

  • Judges approve reversion

        A three judge panel, consisting of Judge Pamela Baskerville, Judge Brett Geisler and Judge William Alexander, approved on Tuesday the reversion agreement between the city of Bedford and Bedford County.
        Now it’s official: the city is set to become a town July 1, 2013.
        The judges met in the Circuit Court courtroom; members of Bedford City Council attended. City Council had reconvened a meeting that it had continued last week.

  • Elks Home now open to public

        After more than 100 years of serving only Elk members, the Elks National Home in Bedford is now offering its services to the public.
        And the phones are ringing off the hook.

  • Bedford House temporarily suspends operations

    Bedford Hospice House, Inc. opened Bedford House off Falling Creek Road in the fall of 2011.

         After 15 months of providing care and comfort to many residents and their families, the organization will temporarily suspend operations at the end of December and explore several new operating models with its goal to provide opportunities for long-term success,  according   to   volunteer  Board  President Jeffrey Fulgham.

  • Forum focuses on safety

        “I’m part of a club that nobody wants to be a part of,” said Tim Groover, when he spoke at a teen driving safety forum at Staunton River High School (SRHS) Monday night.

  • Father led effort to make intersection safe

    Lionel Toms knows the tragedies of losing a loved one from an accident along Va. 24. He also knows the work that goes into implementing meaningful change.

        Neither are easy.
        But there’s no doubt the changes he fought for, and saw come to fruition, have saved lives.

  • Another fatality on Va. 24

    By John Barnhart
    and Tom Wilmoth
    news@bedfordbulletin.com

        For the third time in a month, a life has been lost as the result of an accident along Va. 24 between Jordantown Road and Va. 122.
        And some are questioning the road’s safety. Or are at least requesting more safety measures be implemented.

  • Too fast, too furious

      Jefferson Forest revved its engine.