.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Man faces charges for soliciting 14-year-old girl

        A 26-year-old man, accused of soliciting a 14-year-old girl, has been indicted on the charges by a Bedford County grand jury.

        Angelo E. Paderes Sr., who is listed with a Bedford address on court records but was arrested in Georgia, is facing four counts of computer solicitation and one count of carnal knowledge. He was indicted on all of those counts by the grand jury.

  • Salem man pleads to porn charges

    A Salem man pleaded guilty to five counts of possession of child pornography, receiving a five-year prison sentence.
        William McKinley Hollie, 49, entered the pleas last Friday, Aug. 5, as part of a deal with the prosecution.

  • Plans for Bedford County Fair expanded for this year

        The Bedford County Fair is coming back for a four-day run starting on Sept. 1.

        According to Joy Powers, superintendent of the fair and chairman of the fair board of directors, last year’s fair, the first in 40 years, exceeded expectations with turnout double what they had anticipated.
        “We were hoping for 7,000,” she said. “We ended up with over 14,500 people.”

  • Missing autistic teen found
  • Pilot programs added

        A report of mixed results from the first year of a pilot program on personalized learning came as no surprise to Bedford County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Douglas Schuch.
        “The report for the school board (last month) was the public side of it,” Dr. Schuch said this week. “We’ve been monitoring the progress for really the past year.”

  • Everette Road bridge to be repaired this month

        A bridge that carries Everett Road (Va. 622) over Norfolk & Western Railroad tracks is currently closed but, according to Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) spokesman Jason Bond, should reopen by the end of the month after repairs are completed.

  • Ruff pleads to rape charge

        A former Bedford resident pleaded guilty to one count of rape Tuesday morning in Bedford County Circuit Court.
        Roger Alfred Ruff, 71, faced three counts of the rape of a juvenile under the age of 13, but under the plea agreement two of the charges were not prosecuted. A sentencing hearing has been set for Oct. 14.

  • Planning commission gives OK to middle school plan

    present, the Bedford County Planning Commission voted, last week, 5-0 to recommend approval of the special use permit necessary for construction of the county’s new middle school on a parcel adjacent to Liberty High School (LHS).

  • Hiring tourism director put on hold

        “We need a marketing plan, we need a direction, we need a vision on how we are going to sell Bedford County Administrator Carl Boggess told a gathering of tourism stakeholders at a Thursday morning meeting at the Welcome Center.
        Boggess told the group that his recommendation will be to develop a marketing plan before hiring a new tourism director.

  • Active shooter training

        Area law enforcement from a variety of local departments spent much of Saturday training in active shooter scenarios—one at Bedford Elementary School and the other at the Army Reserve Center.

        “It was great training,” stated Major Ricky Gardner of the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office.
        Planning for the training has been going on for months and the departments hold such events once every three years or so.