Today's News

  • Art at the orchard

    Gross’ Orchard now features an artists’ village.

        It’s just down the road from the orchard’s sales area and signs point you to it. Ronnie Gross, who along with his father, Walter Gross, run the orchard said that they started construction in June. It consists of some small buildings providing sheltered spaces for local artists to display and sell their work. There is also space where tents can be set up.
        It’s called “Artists’ Village by the Stream.”

  • 9/11 survivor to speak at prayer breakfast

        The Bedford area’s Sixth Annual Community Ecumenical 9-11 will feature a man who was there.

        Sergeant Major James O. Smith (U.S. Army, Retired), was still on active duty on Sept. 11, 2001.
        “I was attending a meeting in the Pentagon,” he said.
        SGM Smith is an Army combat medic and Army nurse. At the time he was assigned as chief medical NCO to the National Guard Bureau. The meeting room was to the left of where the hijacked airliner hit.

  • Man pleads to computer solicitation

        What started out as a motions hearing quickly turned into a discussion of split infinitives and diagramming sentences Friday in Bedford County Circuit Court. The hearing would eventually end with 25-year-old John Edward Pressley of Martinsville entering four no contest pleas to computer solicitation of a child less than 15 years old.

  • Parents protest principal at Body Camp Elementary being reassigned

        The decision to reassign popular Body Camp Elementary Principal Dr. Marvin McGinnis from the school didn’t sit well with a number of community residents who spoke to the Bedford County School Board at last Thursday’s meeting.

        The remarks followed a 5-0 vote by the board to move Dr. McGinnis to fill a teaching vacancy at Bedford Middle School. He and school secretary Marsha Sheinman had been placed on administrative leave the week before school started.

  • Two men charged by BCSO with selling dogs for fighting

        Members of the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division arrested two individuals, Monday, at 11268 West Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike in Montvale, charging them with violating Virginia’s animal fighting laws.  

  • System will detect emergency vehicles approaching traffic lights

    Fire trucks, and eventually all emergency vehicles passing through the city of Bedford, should have a safer trip as the result of preemption devices that are currently being installed at the city’s intersections that have traffic lights.

  • Sports commentary: Life on the sidelines

     It’s football season, and that means I’m on the sidelines.

    I’m not sure it’s the best place from which to cover a game.  It is, however, certainly the best place to get your action photos.

  • 25 Flags over Bedford

    It seemed like June 14.


    That date, of course, is when we commemorate Flag Day.


  • State Champs flex on Jeff Forest

     It was expected to be an emotional opening night at Northside.

    Cav Head Coach Don Rice was likely dealing with more than anyone else at Viking Stadium.

  • Safety measures

    City of Bedford volunteer firefighters are safer because of the recent installation of an exhaust removal system at the department.

        A grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Assistance to Firefighters fund provided the majority of the money needed to finance the installation of the $80,000 system. Locally, the fire department had to come up with 5 percent of the cost for the system; the federal government provided the other 95 percent.