Liberty Lodge, Bedford’s Masonic Lodge, will celebrate its founding, Saturday. There won’t be any charter members, however. That’s because the Lodge was chartered in 1813, 200 years ago. It got its name because Bedford was named Liberty back then.
The Lodge was organized on July 6, 1813, and received its official charter on Dec. 14, 1813. It met in the home of Charles Mitchell which, Carl Wells, the Lodge’s chaplain, believes was located at the corner of East Main Street and Otey Street.